Sunday, July 25, 2010

Riddle Me This


What do dijon mustard, cinnamon candy, and skin off the rotisserie chicken from Costo have in common?

Yes, all part of a healthy diet. But that's not what I am referring to.

Those holy triptych of flavors is what I am craving day after day in this, my SECOND PREGNANCY.

Oh, a dijon mustard sandwich chased by a stick of cinnamon gum. The glistening chicken skin on the butt of my wholesale chicken.

Two words: DEE. LISH.

I just finished off a very full 12- weeks of this pregnancy, which feels like a huge accomplishment, with the scorching heat and having started a new job where the expectation is that I will perform the functions of my job. Everyday. All damn day long. And the fatigue. And the nausea. It's been really fun to ride the packed train on these summer days. And by fun, I mean it makes me wish I could walk barefooted to work on the hot asphalt rather than have to fight the blue line riders for a scrap of fresh air. To lend some objective "science" to my own experience that pregnancy, 18 months later than the first time, appears to be slightly more taxing, here's what the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists have to say about the second time around:

"One thing that is almost always true of a later pregnancy is that you will be more tired this time. There are a few reasons for this. You are older than you were during your first pregnancy. You may not have had a chance to get back in shape after giving birth. . . . You'll 'show' earlier this time, too. In fact, you may need to start wearing your maternity clothes before your fourth month of pregnancy."

I love it when my body and mind perform according to science's predictions.

So, we are off. We knew we wanted to have two kids so this is a welcome blessing that will be painstakingly chronicled here. Every baby deserves a blog. That's the motto at my house.

We call this baby Cherry Blossom, for reasons that are complicated enough to deserve its own post. It's coming. For now, just know that somewhere on your horizon looms a future me coming down the street at you with a giant double stroller and story to tell.

1 comment: