Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Snowmaggendon







Dear Simon,

Mommy is so glad you didn't come on your due date, which would have required us to travel to the hospital in a blizzard. We just got 21 inches of snow in the past 24 hours, making this the third worst snowstorm in Chicago's history. It's nuts. Your YaYa is in town from Texas and she's never seen snow like this. Tonight the temperatures are going to plunge to the negative single digits, so YaYa is getting a real Midwest education. I keep thinking to myself: What would Laura Ingalls Wilder do? Given her early days as a pioneer on the great American plains.

We ended up leaving the hospital early with you so we could avoid any wild traffic scenarios. It was nice to get home even though last night was a little rough getting settled. We are going to have to learn to read your signals and your body language so we can take good care of you.

As for your voice....Son, you've got a set of lungs that rivals your sister's. You kind of sound like a mini- Sam Kinnison. And you go from fast asleep to screaming in less than a heartbeat. Other than your manical cry, you seem really mellow and very sleepy. Right now YaYa is holding you and Daddy and Sadie went to a neighbor's for a playdate. I sense that cabin fever may be developing for all of us. For my part, I am concentrating on healing and getting up on my feet so I can enjoy my early days with you. We're doing fabulously with the nursing, though sometimes Mommy gets lazy and our latch gets askew. I gotta work on that.

My little January baby boy-- we are so glad you are here. I still sometimes I feel like I can feel you kicking inside of me. Can you believe you went from inside me to sitting in my mother's lap?

I am going to get ready for our next feeding and also get a little pain pill. I hope to be done with the strong stuff soon, but I am not quite ready to wean from the Narco.

Here's to the rest of our lives!

Love,
Mama

No comments:

Post a Comment