Tuesday, July 19, 2011

End of an Era















By the end of this weekend I will no longer be the mother of "two under two." With Sadie's birthday fast approaching, I will become a mother of an infant and a two-year-old.

Exciting times.

Simon is rolling around and learning to sleep and eat like a full-grown man. Sadie is talking like an expert and we are slowly coming around to our new normal. We spend a lot of time dancing, playing in Sadie's kitchen, and figuring out how to pass the summer days in the 90-degree heat.

It's hard to believe that Sadie is already two years old. When did that happen? I am pledging to not give in to the cultural temptation to call her age the "terrible" twos. The reframe of the period: Sadie's gaining immense autonomy and it's a time of energy, passion and emotion. What's so terrible about that? I am ready to parent my spirited and loving little girl through whatever comes our way in the next day, week and year. Having a little brother has changed Sadie a lot. I see her compassion for and connection to Simon and hope to stay out of their way as they build their relationship. She gets so upset when he's crying and she's so engaged with him when they are hanging out together. It looks like a good foundation to me.

I have no idea how these perfect little creatures ended up in my house or how I got so blessed, but I am sure glad they are here.

No comments:

Post a Comment