Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Timing

Well, I am about a week into my official unemployment and my only question is this: How the hell did I ever have time for a job? Between the park, and errands, and parenting classes, who has time for a job? (Hopefully, Jeff, I guess.)

I am grateful that I haven't died of boredom or lack of adult companionship yet. I think staying home with children has come a long way since 1970 when I was a kid. First of all, there are cell phones that moms can use to text and call each other to stay connected. A sample text I got today: "Finally down for nap. Mama tired." This was sent at 4:45 p.m. from a mother whose child usually naps at 2:00 p.m. I have a sense of what a brutal afternoon my friend had trying to get her son to nap. I can't imagine parenting without the smartphone. (And I have no idea what a smart phone refers to, I just hear it all the time. For the record, I have an iPhone and I love it.)

Second, there are so many ways to get together with moms. There are "meet up" groups and Bradley classes and parks and Gymboree. I really feel compassion for my mom who seemed somewhat isolated in suburban Dallas when we were young. I could have 2 playdates a day if I really tried. I think moms are more motivated to connect and get together. Last night when we went out for a little family nature walk, we ran into a mom and tot from our playgroup. Together we all perused the neighborhood, picking up dandelions and sharing stories about our kids and our former lives. I never remember doing that when I was a kid: the walk or the meeting up with neighbors. It's so fun; I am sorry my mother did not have that. I hope it's good for the kids too-- to know other children and to see us being social and connected to our neighborhood and the larger world.

No comments:

Post a Comment