Friday, April 29, 2011

Adios, Fourth Trimester


I have taken great comfort in the theory that the first three months of a baby's life is really a fourth trimester, because it offers some explanation about why it's so damn hard. The first three months: trying to get to know a perfect stranger who just happens to eat from my breast about 8-12 times per day, and the inexplicable crying, and the farting and the exhaustion. It's a tough and sublime 3 months.

So, for all those reasons we celebrate Simon's three-month birthday today. Hopefully, my breast milk is celebration enough for him. Maybe if I eat the leftover playgroup brownies the milk will taste extra sweet for him.

The Earth is celebrating as well because the sun has made an appearance for the first time this week. OH MY GOD, I am so happy to see the sun. Everything seems possible today. I feel like I could get a Ph.D. in neuroscience today. Maybe I can even get through the day without being a martyr or complaining about the previous 5 days of cold rain. When I say anything is possible, I do mean ANYTHING.

It's also Zenia's last day with us. We made her a book of Sadie and Simon pictures and I expressed my gratitude for all she has done for us. She and Sadie are at music class right now while I work on some nap training for Simon. The anxiety is mounting for me about what to tell my firm about my future plans. For one more day I am putting it off because I want to go walk in the sunshine with Simon and show him the glory that is Target on Elston. He's only been once and he slept the whole time. We have to do it proper so he knows the best strategy for attacking the store.

Here's to Simon's 3 months of life, where just about everything has changed. I love him and his chubby cheeks more than I can say. How lucky we are!

No comments:

Post a Comment